Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Name that Poet--and Poem--and Win a Cup of Coffee

Using Babelfish, I translated this poem from English to German and back. It was written by a well-known American poet. Name her or him and the title of the poem and I'll buy you a cup of coffee. Really.

I was, which knows the night. I have expired in rains -- and back in the rain. I have outwalked the furthest city light. I have down the saddest city way geschauen. I exceeded by the protection on its effect and mean eyes, which were dropped, in order to explain averse. I become still and the clay/tone of the feet, as far cry houses of another road behind stopped, away interrupted, went, but I not back call or legends good-bye well-known; And you still promote on one unearthly height, were O Luminarytaktgeber against the sky, which was proclaimed the time, neither still quite wrongly. I was, which knows the night.

1 comment:

Daniël Sterenborg said...

Dear Keith Howard,

I have traced the American (translate to German and back again) poet:
His work is still under copyright, since he passed away in 1963.

His name is Robert Frost (1874 – 1963), and the Poem is called "Acquainted with the Night" from his book New Hampshire (published in 1923).

Though I will waive my right for a cup of coffee, due to the fact that either you or me have to travel a long distance to meet up (I live in the Netherlands, about 80kms South of Rotterdam)...

Was a nice search though.

See you,

Daniël Sterenborg LL.B.